Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tiggs

Meet the Dev: David Langeliers

4 posts in this topic

David Langeliers - Lead Producer @ IllFonic

I've been working in the video game industry for about 14 years now. The majority of that time was spent at THQ before they shut down. You can say what you want about THQ, but I loved my time working there. We had an awesome group of people in production and I got to work on some really amazing games during my time there, including Company of Heroes, Dawn of War, Saints Row, Metro, etc... 

I am one of those lucky people who fell into the industry without any formal education. When I was a kid I self taught myself computer hardware, software and programming. I made a few programs and mods for some old-school PC games, including some mods for DooM and Quake, and a simple level editor and viewer for the OG Quake 1 beta. I've always been a big video game nerd, and even after working in the industry for as long as I have, it hasn't spoiled games as a hobby, a passion and a way to relax. I still absolutely love playing games, I love the craft and I think always will. 

My favorite games of all time: Team Fortress 2, which I still play a few hours of on a weekly basis (Steam says I have over 1800 hours logged, which I'm not sure if that is a good or a bad thing), The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, both of the Super Mario Galaxy games and Super Mario World. I'm a really big fan of Nintendo games in general. The amount of care and polish that goes into almost every single one of their games is nothing short of amazing.

I started in the industry as a Quality Assurance Tester at THQ in 2002, before moving up to a Lead Tester, Associate Creative Manager and finally Creative Manager. The Creative Manager role at THQ was similar to a Creative Director role at a publisher. I was responsible for making sure our games were up to par with other competitive titles as far as content and quality were concerned, and gave creative direction and suggestions to the studios on pretty much everything, audio, design, art, etc... A big part of my job was to play competitive product releases and analyze what they were doing that was unique, what they executed well on, and where they may have dropped the ball a bit. Then use that analysis to help make our games better and more polished. I also worked closely with Marketing, QA, Biz Dev, etc... to make sure everybody was in the loop as far as the state of the game was concerned.

After THQ shut down, I did some consulting work for a year or two then moved to Denver, Colorado to work at IllFonic. I do miss LA sometimes, but the team here is really awesome and it's exciting to be working on the studio side of things instead of the publisher. I get to wear a few more hats here at IllFonic, doing standard producer work, but also some creative direction, marketing asset creation (I've made quite a few of the Moving Hazard videos that have been released), event coordination and even a little bit of actual development on our games. 

1 person likes this

I am part of the development team. I may not be creating art assets or coding, but I do spend tons of time playing the game, making design tweaks/suggestions, and have been known to actually submit work to the perforce server on occasion :D

Heh, I've been wondering who this person may be, sicne Tiggs made the post on his behalf.

Now that you posted yourself I can put a name... to the name... ;-)